Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

My mortgage was held by Northern Rock and transferred to

My mortgage was held by Northern Rock and transferred to Virgin Money. Where can I find the actual outstanding amount recorded against my property from public records but not from Virgin Money?
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you. You cannot find out how much is owing by consulting public records. This is because the only public record of a mortgage is from the land registry registered title for the property. The registered title will show that the mortgage is secured against the property in the form of a charge, but it won’t show the amount that is owing. The land registry are not advised of how much is outstanding on a mortgage at a given time.Only your mortgage lender will be able to provide you with a redemption statement showing the present amount owing on your mortgage, but this is obviously very easy to obtain from them and you would be able to call them to request a redemption statement.No public records are held for mortgage amounts though. I am sorry. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The reason I asked the question Tom, is because Northern Rock have no record of mortgage details and what they transferred to Virgin Money who are equally vague. Is there any other way of verifying amounts or is it only via Virgin Money?

Mel

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mel,It’s pretty annoying when this happens. I would write a letter to both lenders.You should give your full name details, the details of the property and enclose a copy of the Land Registry title for your property. You can download a copy here:https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/ You should also dig out your old mortgage correspondence and enclose copies of these to the lenders and refer them to the mortgage account number that you were provided with the mortgage documentation you receive in the past. You should require them to respond to you in writing with a detailed redemption statement. Forgot about phoning them, you never speak to anyone with any authority. In writing only. State that if they cannot locate your account immediately then they should propose how they will proceed.I suspect that with a bit of digging from someone with a bit of experience at the lender they will be able to locate your account.Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
I hope that this helps - please rate positive - thanks