Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

Neighbour dispute. Requested through landlord that a power

Customer Question

Neighbour dispute. Requested through landlord that a power cable attached to my fence be removed(was given to 10 Oct ) ,that a gate on access path be removed and garden sheds too close to a rear fence so as to prevent proper maintenance,to re-site. The landlord has written to neighbour ,who has chosen to ignore his instruction .How effective would a solicitors letter be and what is next step if ignored?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Who owns the power cable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not questioning who owns the cable because it belongs to the neighbour What I want is the cable removed from my fence,along with a gate attached to my fence barring acces to side fence for maintenance ,it is an access path for this purpose and access to the neighbours garden,also ,two garden sheds erected close to my rear fence,preventing maintenance. Polite requests have been made by me and the landlord,which have been ignored.The neighbour refuses to budge.
The starting point will be to check whether your neighbour has an easement or right of way over your land. You should check the deeds to find out if this is the case (both your and his) otherwise I would write formally advising him of your plans and that you consider that he is in trespass (I would get a solicitor to write such a letter) with the threat of legal action if he does not re the cable. You are in greater difficulty with sheds etc on his land being too close to your property. The law will allow him to have sheds etc on his land even if very near to yours. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We live in a local authority block of four flats,so we do not own the land nor is there a right of way because we all have clearly defined access to gardens.Theirs is to the rear separated by my fence ( sheds too close) and an access path to their garden separated by my side fence for which I have access for maintenance but unable to because of a padlocked gate half way along the path,which they hung on my fence and it is this fence they have attached the power line to the sheds.
My demands seem simple enough. I want the cable removed!, the gate removed to the entrance of their garden and the sheds moved to give room to maintain fencework. What should be done now to ensure a satisfactory end to this farce?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please see my reply 15 Oct EST 03.49
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please see my reply 15 Oct EST 03.49
I can not see a reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please refer to my reply of 11 Oct
Apart from giving this obnoxious person a good thumping ,what can
be done ,in law to resolve the matter?
I would get a solicitors letter sent to him threatening court action if he does not move the cable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How effective is a solicitors letter in this kind of situation ,because the neighbour seems to ignore any communication from me and the landlord. Would he HAVE to respond to the solicitor or to me ,at what point would he be considered 'in contempt'

I think solicitors letters work wonders - he does not have to reply but most people do.