How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33037
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

I own a flat in Cardiff which is let out by a local property

Resolved Question:

I own a flat in Cardiff which is let out by a local property management co. It is in a development that is about 8 years old. The flat above mine, had a leak from their toilet which caused a lot of damage to my flat. The property management company have said that I can claim back the cost of refurbishment from the insurers, but not for loss of rent. Can you please explain my legal position here in terms of being able to possibly file against my neighbour for loss of rent?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Are you allowed to rent the property under the terms of the lease
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes absolutely

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
I see. If you have suffered loss as a result of the incident - that the property was not rented out during this period then you would have a claim against the above property. This may or may not be covered by the insurance, but you would still have that element of a claim against the neighbour. You can bring a claim in the small claims court for the sum owed. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Thomas Judge and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you