Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

I own a flat in Cardiff which is let out by a local property

I own a flat in Cardiff which is let out by a local property management co. It is in a development that is about 8 years old. The flat above mine, had a leak from their toilet which caused a lot of damage to my flat. The property management company have said that I can claim back the cost of refurbishment from the insurers, but not for loss of rent. Can you please explain my legal position here in terms of being able to possibly file against my neighbour for loss of rent?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Are you allowed to rent the property under the terms of the lease
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes absolutely

I see. If you have suffered loss as a result of the incident - that the property was not rented out during this period then you would have a claim against the above property. This may or may not be covered by the insurance, but you would still have that element of a claim against the neighbour. You can bring a claim in the small claims court for the sum owed. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.