Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

I am a tenant with an agreement which states I have to give

Customer Question

I am a tenant with an agreement which states I have to give 2 months notice if I want to renew or not renew an agreement. The 2 month period has lapsed and the term is on the 6th November. I have been led to believe that it is the landlord's responsibility to renew the agreement and if they don't the tenant can move out on the date of the end of the term. IS this correct?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
If the contract is an AST for a fixed term go 6 or 12 months then you as the tenant are entitled to move out at the end of term. I hope that this helps - please rate positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is the clause of the tenant having to provide 2 months notice to either renew or not renew before the end of the term then illegal or unenforcible?

It seems to appear in a lot of these documents normally drafted by landlords but the document is specifically for a set period - that is the purpose of an AST. I hope that this helps - please rate positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you - If I have already handed 2 months notice based on that clause, can I renege on that and reset to 1 month notice or move out on the last day?

If you do renege they can often allege that they have relied on your notice -hence why I would not normally give notice.