Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

The side of my house forms one side of a passageway between

The side of my house forms one side of a passageway between myself and my next door neighbour. They have recently put down garden sleepers approx 2 metres long and 1 foot high and filled with earth for planting. The earth and each end of the wooden sleepers are directly against my house. Is this legal? Can I insist that it say my 1 foot from the side of my house? My house is covered in cement and painted.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
are they on your land?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Only against the wall of my house. I am concerned about damp being caused by wet earth. and wood at either end of the bed. Also future plants could root or come up against my walls, which I said are covered in cement and therefore liable to cracking with damp getting through to the brickwork. Although it is only about a foot high it is at the base of my wall and about 2 metres long..
I see. They are allowed to put a wall on their side of the boundary - i.e. on their land. The difficulty you have in law is that you can only bring a claim once there has been damage - I would however write to them now and put them on notice that yu have these concerns and they may want to ensure that no damage is caused going forward. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive