29905560

My son has been sent a demand large sum of money for

Customer Question

My son has been sent a demand for a large sum of money for an accident that happened when he was working for a company and had a small accident, the employer surely should be responsible as his insurance would cover it, he was working for the company as an employee
dave
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What happened exactly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my son was driving for the wild food company on company business and it was in heavy traffic andgently rolled into the car in front causing no visible damage,

i can send a copy of the letter if you like, apparently this happened on the 4th july 2014!!

he has not worked for the company since july 2014

regards

dave

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are correct that the company should be claiming this through their insurance because if he was driving a company vehicle then they should have been incurred and that is precisely what insurance is there for. If he was negligent, however, they could still and pursue him for any ancillary losses they may have suffered as a result, for example he could be asked to cover the excess of the policy or any increase in premiums. But that is generally about it and he cannot be made responsible for the full claim if there was insurance which would have covered it. So they may try and get that from him by writing and demanding it but he cannot be forced to pay them at this stage. If they wanted to pursue it further they would have to take it to court and show that these damages have been suffered and why they were not covered by the insurance. That could all be difficult for them so they may not go that far and could just be trying their luck by threatening him via such letters, hoping he will just pay up.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you, ***** ***** a general template that i can answer with please

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Not really this won't be covered by a general template as such as it is not a common occurrence but you an use my answer above to compose a brief but to the point reply that he should not be liable but the insurance should have covered it
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.