LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I am putting an offer on a property with a shared septic tank(2 properties) it will be

I am putting an offer on a property with a shared septic tank(2 properties) it will be in my land, can I get next door stooped from using it(disconnect them) the covenant sayboth properties to repair/maintain the septic tank, I want them disconnected from it from now on forever!
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience, I will try to answer this for you.
It is almost certain that your neighbour will have an easement entitling him to right of use of your land for passage of his sewage to and use of the septic tank. You will not be able to cut him off if this is the case. The easement would usually be referred to on the deeds at the land registry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there nothing I can do to void this easement ?
There are 3 ways in which an easement can end. If the person benefiting from the easement executes a deed to abandon it, if it is abandoned by the neighbour (eg by sealing off the pipe himself and installing his own septic tank - no simple lack of use) or if one person ends up owning both pieces of land.
So, if the neighbour wants to carry on using it three is nothing you can do.