How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We have a restaurant business with leased premises. The

Resolved Question:

Hi, we have a restaurant business with leased premises. The contract says we have to pay rent 3 months ahead. After 1 year of payments we agreed with the landlords to change to only 1 month in advance. This was fine for a few months then the premises changed hands and now the new owners want us to go back to 3 months. The change was only verbally made. Can they enforce this or is our verbal agreement binding ? Thank you , Vince Payne
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help,you.
How long have you been paying one month ahead?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, we've paid 1 month ahead for 4 months
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 months
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Did they agree in writing or only verbally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Verbally but we did confirm to them that we would pay monthly as agreed.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If it was agreed and you have evidence of your monthly repayments this is a contract. It therefore can't be changed and the new landlords must honour that.
Otherwise it's breach of contract. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Alex, so we are ok to insist on continuing to pay monthly ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.


Related Property Law Questions