Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

Can I give notice to agency 1 month instead of 2

Customer Question

can I give notice to agency 1 month instead of 2
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
What does it say in the contract? The starting point in tenancy matters is actually what is says in the contract - usually for tenants the notice period is actually only one month. Happy to discuss
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
contract says 2 month notice should be given..I don't wont stay longer becouse they fail their agreement with me about maitenance so in that pot I ask them only for 1 month but they say no becouse of agrement
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
and they newer provide me with temporary heaters or something like that
I see - ok well the starting point is that they can hold you to term for the notice period - the law says that there is a contract and you will have to give two months notice. That said you can suggest that you are entitled to compensation for the failure by them to provide the things to the property which they should have done. You should put this in a formal letter (or email) to them. You may suggest that a compromise would be for you to leave earlier otherwise you could take them to the small claims court. Happy to discuss but please remember to rate positive
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What size of compensation I can get like my rent is 585£...I even ask them about to use my deposit to pay my second month but they say no is well..
I would be looking for a sum close or equivalent to the rent - particularly where you waited 35 days and have a 5 month baby. Go a bit higher than you might normally because you would expect them to negotiate - and they will never negotiate up only down. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks for help..havee a good day
my pleasure
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one more fast question if they deny about my request of compensation?
Its is the threat of taking them to the small claims court