75100385

I have no contract property I am renting but have a verbal

Customer Question

I have no contract for a property I am renting but have a verbal contract until September 2016
However the landlord has just given me (verbally) two months notice to vacate the property
Can I insist that the original verbal agreement stands
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Did anyone witness the verbal conversation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only my wife and the landlord
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok, legally this is a contract. So yes you can refuse to leave. If you refuse to leave then the Landlord will have to seek a Court order for possession, you can defend it on the basis he said you were entitled to be there until September 2016.
If you paid a deposit then unless it was protected then the Landlord can't take ANY step to evict you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We originally rented through an estate agent and paid a deposit that is being independently help after one year the landlord said he was leaving the agent and we could just carry on my wife and I said we would like the property for 2 more years but will review after 1 year sept 2016
What can I do to prevent eviction.?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You can defend it on the basis the deposit has not been protected AND you have an agreement.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The deposit is held with the tenancy deposit scheme does this help me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I need to do to defend
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
..
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If it was protected then you can't use that as a defence. Your defence is the verbal agreement.
Does that help?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/