Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

I own a house with a garden with mature trees at the bottom .

I own a house with a garden with mature trees at the bottom
. I returned home a few days ago to find a man up a ladder in my tree with an electric saw cutting down the branches on the tree. He had obtained the electricity from plugs over the boundary fence to the neighbours house. I do not know him, never given permission for the tree to be cut. He has decimated a beautiful historic tree the man then took away all the cut oak logs for himself. I understand that any branches overhanging the boundary fence could be cut down but he has been cutting branches in the middle of the tree. I never gave any permission for this nor did I know that he was going to do thus, what are my rights?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
If he has cut branches on your side of the boundary then this is trespass. This is simply not allowed in law. You would want to know who this man was and then write formally to him seeking compensation. You would want to take photographs of the damage. You may also wish to consider speaking to a tree surgeon as to any damage to the tree. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
I hope this helps