Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

My next door neighbour has decided while I was away on

Hi, my next door neighbour has decided while I was away on holiday that she is going to take out my privet hedge without my permission, as she believes as it's her boundary she can do what she pleases. The roots are quite visible on my property but she says that as it's her boundary she can do as she pleases and that it is to keep the dog safe but the dog isn't hers she only looks after it now and again
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
The starting point for this is to have a look at the deeds and the plans to both property which should normally set out the boundary line/wall. If it does not then the only real answer if you can not reach agreement it for a surveyor (ideally this should be jointly agreed) would come and determine the line of the boundary. If she has crossed your boundary then this is both a trespass and a potential claim for damages. The other option is to get a solicitor to write to her threatening legal action should this continue. Happy to discuss but please rate positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We already know the boundary line as there is a concrete wall between the two properties that ends where the hedge starts and it's very plain to see the roots to the hedge are my side of this wall, she believes as it is her boundary as it's to the left of her property that she has the right to remove said hedge wether it's on my property or not
Well she does not have this right unless the branches etc trespass onto her land. As such I would then simply get a solicitor to write to her threatening legal action if she does it again. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so she cannot take it out without my permission
If not is on your land then no she can't- without your permission this would be trespass and as such in breach of the law. Please rate positive