Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have paid 6 months upfront rent property, after the

Customer Question

I have paid 6 months upfront rent for a property, after the 6 months the agency asked for more money for reference check and the tenancy agreement rolled on monthly
i paid rent on the 2nd of september as that was the date i was supposed to pay the rent and then on the 9th of september i send my notice that i will clear the property on the second of october, then paid deposit and rent on another property. the agency didn't accept my notice and said i have to pay rent until the 2nd of december as i was supposed to give notice on same day i paid rent. i didnt agree with that and left the property when i said i would but the agency keept harassing me and today they called my work for me and threatened me with court and asked me if my new landlord knows about me being on housing benefit and so on and also told me at the end of the conversation that she recorded our conversation . i cant aford to pay her another month as i am liable for rent somewhere else. they still have my deposit which i autorisated them to keep to fix whatever dilapidation there is in the property but she wants the rent money for october. does she have the right to contact my work or my current landlord to badmouth me/?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
I presume you mean that you left early?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i left on 2nd of october as i said in my notice that i sent on 9th of sepember
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo and thank you
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that isn't adequate notice I'm afraid.
When should the AST have expired?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is a ast?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so if the notice wasnt adequate, are they allowed to contact my new landlord and badmouth me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and record our conversations without telling me or getting my consent?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Well, there is no reason that they shouldn't phone you at work and they can truthfully complain to anybody they like. What they can't do is assert something that is false.
That said, if you gave notice on the 9th then your notice wouldn't begin until the 2nd October and run until the 2nd November. Therefore you would be liable for the rent until the 2nd November. The deposit might well cover that.
Your contract may say that you are liable for two months notice but usually courts will only demand one month.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am sorry made a mistake with the dates. i paid last rent on 2nd of october (paid october) and gave notice to leave the property on the 2nd of November. They didnt accept it and they want me to pay the rent for November too and leave the property on the 2nd of December.I left the property on the 2nd of October
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
When did you give notice ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9 of october
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
left property on 2nd of november not october. sorry dont meant to confuse you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
last rent 2nd october
notice 9th of october
moved out 2nd of november
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
So the notice on the 9th would have taken effect on the next rent date which would have been the 2nd November to continue until the 2nd of December.
Unless, of course, he finds a replacement earlier.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else you wanted to know?