75100385

We have a tenant to whom we gave the wrong term in the

We have a tenant to whom we gave the wrong term in the tenancy agreement, 3 months instead of six. His tenancy started on 7 September 2015 and he did not sign the tenancy agreement until 11 October when we found out that he had applied for housing benefit.
He has only paid rent of £250 per week for the first 2 weeks, £500 total. He has not paid a deposit. We are now in debt and want to know what options we have. We would like to give the tenant a 6 month tenancy agreement but he will not get housing benefit
as it is only applicable for a 12 month period. Is there any chance that we can get the rent arrears on a 6 month agreement?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What is it you want to achieve please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were going to see the property before we rented it to a friend. We want vacant possession as soon as possible.How long does a phone discussion last?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Phone discussion would be 15-20 mins.
You want the current tenant to leave?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, as we want to sell the property as soon as possible. The tenant cannot afford the rent without receiving housing benefit and we really do not want to give him a 12 month agreement.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Is he more than two months behind?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rent is £250 per week and tomorrow, 9 November, he will be 8 weeks in arrears.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. You serve a section 8 notice to quit. Then after this expires you can apply for possession using the accelerated route at https://www.possessionclaim.gov.uk/pcol/HomePage.do
The process will take a few months.