75100385

About 10 years ago, our neighbour renovated the side and back

Customer Question

About 10 years ago, our neighbour renovated the side and back wall of our garden which adjoined his property. At the same time (with our agreement) he created a passageway at the back of the garden (he sacrificed a small amount of his own land and used some of ours in its creation) – subsequently he gave us permission to walk across his land which would allow us to use this passageway which was particularly useful for moving heavy objects/bikes into the house. Early this year, as we were selling this property, he asked if he could restrict the access to this passageway as his elderly mum was worried about new people she didn’t know (i.e. the new buyers) using it. So he offered us some money to move the boundary back about 2 feet so that the passageway is now considered his territory. He then mentioned that we should then let the solicitors (i.e. the conveyancing solicitors acting for the buyers/ourselves) know about the change in the boundary when we sold the property – which we did. However, I suspect that the land registry documents will not reflect this change and the neighbour is now worried. There is however no dispute with the new owners as to where the property boundary lies. I was wondering therefore what can be done to update the land registry records to reflect this change and indeed whether I have any power to be able to do it? Thanks!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Do you have anything in writing to confirm the position from the Solicitor?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a number we can speak on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ,yes, number is *****
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will call shortly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, speak soon.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok