Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

There, I moved into my rented property in 1988 without

Customer Question

Hello there,
I moved into my rented property in 1988 without a contract. I believe this means I have an assured tenancy. I my husband (now deceased) signed a one year contract in 2007, for an assured shorthold tenancy but once that expired I continued to pay my rent and did not sign a new contract. Does this mean I am still an assured tenant with the rights of one?
My rent is much lower than the market value. My landlord has informed me that unless I sign a new assured shorthold tenancy agreement, he will eveict me and my family.
My landlord owns the entire building. I up until 2 years ago I used to clean the communal stairwell until everyone in the building got together and requested a cleaner. He has not spent a penny in this flat. I have replaced the kitchen, redecorated a number of times, i pay for plumbers, electricians, never ask for anything as it is met with no reply. no smoke alarm, no carbon monoxide alarm. nothing.
My questions are:
Can he evict us?
Do we have any rights?
Will he be able to raise our rent?
Kind regards,
Marina Georgiou
***@******.***
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
On what basis is he trying to get you to sign it? Were you named on the first one?