75100385

My partner and I signed a joint tenancy agreement which ends

My partner and I signed a joint tenancy agreement which ends September 2016. Following the breakdown of the relationship, I want to remove my name from the tenancy and transfer the tenancy solely to my partner. Is this possible, will it cost me, and what sort of notice if any do I have to give to the agent/landlord?
The tenancy agreement does state that the tenancy can be terminated with the landlords agreement but that there will be costs associated with re-letting the property, which in my case does not apply.
I am seeing the agent next week and would appreciate some advice on how best to approach this problem.
I am currently only sleeping at the house, but continue to pay my share of the rent as well as the television licence.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you
When did you sign the agreement please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The agreement was signed in September 2014
You signed a 2 year agreement, is that right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
OK. You can just ask the Landlord to agree to remove you from the lease. There should be no real cost for this as its not a new tenancy, the Landlord simply removes you.
It may be that they ask you to be a guarantor bearing in mind technically you should be liable until September 2016. But its not a difficult process to remove you - however the Landlord does not have to remove you. It is totally within their discretion because you are tied into a contract.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the only way not to be responsible for any unpaid rent, etc,(guarantor) is for a new agreement to be drawn up in my partners name?
No. They can just remove you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So are you saying that the landlord can insist you be a guarantor?
No, The Landlord can just release you if he/she wants to without being a guarantor. Or the Landlord may insist you are a guarantor.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What if I refuse to be a guarantor.
The Landlord can refuse to remove you from the tenancy agreement.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help.
No problem - good luck
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/