LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

Damage to gate by parcel delivery driver

Recently, a driver of van delivering a parcel to my neighbour reversed his vehicle into my gate and severely damaged it. He got out of his vehicle and inspected it and the gate and then proceeded to drive away without informing me. The whole incident was recorded on my CCTV system. I have noted the van's registration mark from the CCTV footage but there was no livery on the side of the vehicle to identify which organisation it belongs to. Is there any way I can trace the driver of the van in order to seek compensation from him, or his employer, for the damaged caused to my gate please?

Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.
Yes you probably can if you can identify the company concerned. Have you asked your neighbour who made the delivery. If he has an order number then tracing the driver will be easy via the company who sold the goods.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, my neighbour was not at home when the attempted delivery was made.

Yes but presumably he knows what it was and with yor information about when the attempt was made it should be possible to work out between him and the vendor who the driver was.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My neighbour is not aware, other than my discussion with them, of the attempted delivery as no information was left by the delivery driver of his visit.

Did he get anything shortly afterwards, if so it may be the same thing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, they received nothing. Can I trace the driver by other means please?

OK you could call the police and report this as an offence of failing to stop at the scene of an accident where damage was caused. What sort of damage was done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was substantial damage (iron twisted, bent and parts snapped off) to my gate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Police were informed and stated that it was a civil matter.

In that case see this link and trace them through the DVLA.
https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your time. I will now make an application to the DVLA.