LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I live on a terrace comprising of ten properties.There is a

Customer Question

I live on a terrace comprising of ten properties.There is a pedestrian and vehicular access at the rear of the properties. A developer has purchased the end property, with a view to demolishing it. The plan is to build a new roundabout. Has the developer the right to build over our private right of way?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
Is your right of way an easement or soem other form of right of way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don`t understand the term easement.Could you call me on 01226 386991
Why do yu say you have a right of way? Is it in a document somewhere or is it just a right of way that has always been exercised? Your solicitor shod have advised you on this at purchase if you are the property owner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that I haven`t been back in touch. I have been rather busy since I first posted the query. I will be in touch tomorrow when I have more information.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pedestrian and vehicular right of way is shown on the deeds to the properties. Both ends of the right of way, entrance and exit onto a main B road. A developer has purchased the end of terrace property, with a view to demolishing it, and blocking off the vehicular and pedestrian right of way and build a new roundabout at the end of the terrace.Is the developer entitled to block off the right of way to the rest of the residents/home owners on the terrace?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please call me to discuss this further. 01226 386991/ ***********
How is the right of way described in the deeds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is described as a Right of Road and Drainage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As above, it is described as a Right of Road and Drainage. I would rather speak to you in person, to try and get this query sorted out.Regards Audrey
If you have a right of way then the developer will not ordinarily be able to block this. You should write to the developer copying the deeds and explaining you have a right of way and that he has no right to block this off. Has he been granted planning permissions?
You might think that the best thing to do, as there are 4 of you is to jointly instruct a solicitor in the normal face to face way as letters from solicitors tend to have more force than those from individuals.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The developer has been granted outline planning permission to build up to 175 properties in a field directly behind numbers 1 to***** The plan is to build a link road through the new housing development, which will exit onto an enlarged roundabout on a main B road adjacent to number***** which the developer has purchased and plans to demolish, blocking off the right of way, both pedestrian and vehicular. The outline planning development has now gone to Reserved Matters.
You should instruct a local solicitor who has expertise in landlaw to advise you all and if necessary to act for you all to stop your right of way being wrongfully removed.
You need to do this and take decisive action through a solicitor rather than trying to get help here to act on your own behalf.