Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
31090051

What are the consequences to a bank manager a

What are the consequences to a bank manager for providing a proof of funding letter, on official bank letter head which confirms someone I was doing a deal with has several million pounds in cash in her account. When the reality is that this account holder
didn't even have £100k in the account? The proof of funding document was to be used to buy a property off me which subsequently collapsed as she did not have the money. As a result I have suffered consequential loss of money and time etc. Do I have a claim
against the bank and this customer? I do not understand why a bank manager would lie for his client. I can only presume they have a 'special relationship'. Should I even go to the police?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is relevant to English law.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in the UK.
This is a very serious allegation. There ar civil and criminal implications here. You can report the individual to the police as the letter was written fraudulently as a result of which you have suffered substantial loss.
As well as that the bank is responsible for th actings of its employee and you should be reporting this to the bank in the form of a civil claim against he bank. To issue a proof of funding letter where there is no funding is a serious breach of trust and the bank would be liable for your losses occasions by that breach. You should see a solicitor to deal with this for you.
I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.