75100385

I have owner a house 7 years now, and the previous owner and

I have owner a house 7 years now, and the previous owner and the next door neighbour had a verbal agreement that the neighbour could erect a wall onto what is now my property, in order to use the garden steps, about one and a half feet, so effectively they shared the steps. in exchanged he maintained her garden for her.
I was happy to let the old man carry on, but has recently died and I would like to claim my steps back, the house has been purchased already by a builder. I have checked with the land registry and no legal claims have exchanged for the steps. can I claim them back without dispute?
I would very much appreciate your advice
kind regards
gaynor
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Yes. There needs to be at least ten years exclusive access before an application can even be made to the land registry for adverse possession. Therefore you can claim it back.