LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

My 4 nearest neighbours and I have shared responsibility for

Customer Question

My 4 nearest neighbours and I have shared responsibility for the maintenance of the roadway to access our homes. It is 'unadopted'. We wish to establish whether or not we can refuse over-rights to another neighbour should they get planning permission to create new plots in their garden which would open on to this private road.
How should we phrase our requirement in order to engage legal services to have someone review our deeds and covenants so that we get a legal opinion on our rights and obligations?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
If the land is in your joint ownership, and the land being developed does not have a right of way over your land then you an stop the private road from being used for access or negotiate a fee for allowing access.
Have you checked your deed and plan at HMLR to see how the ownership of the land on which the road is built is described.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ThanksCustomer We have looked at our deeds but we feel that we would benefit from having a professional look at them to determine our position. Back to my question "How should we phrase our requirement in order to engage legal services to have someone review our deeds and covenants so that we get a legal opinion on our rights and obligations?"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm happy to rate this service but I wondered if you could answer my reply to your statement first?
I am not sure what you mean by "engage legal services" can you clarify please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. We want a considered professional opinion on our rights and obligations after that professional has read the part of our deeds (4 properties) to ensure that we are on firm ground and that the household developing their land (a further property) has no right of way. Our deeds do not spell things out clearly enough for us to feel sure. I suspected that a face to face consultation would be necessary and I wanted to know the best way to approach whoever for such a professional opinion.
OK you should follow this link to the Law society find a lawyer page http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/. Then search for a lawyer specialising in housing, property and neighbours in your area.
Then give them a call and arrange an initial meeting (will probably costs £400-800 depending on location etc,)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - that's all for now. Regards David
Thankyou.