Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Can my neighbour lay pipes from a garage conversion on my

Customer Question

Can my neighbour lay pipes from a garage conversion on my driveway to a drain in her back garden without my permission
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Unless your neighbour has a legal right to lay pipes on your land, then he certainly can't lay any such pipes on your driveway.
If he does have a legal right, this will be contained in hi Deeds and this right will also be mentioned in your Deeds.
You therefore need to check this- you can obtain a copy of your Deeds from the Land Registry website (called "Official Copies").
I must say- although it would be quite normal for a party to use any existing shared pipes on a neighbour's property, it is very uncommon for there to be a right for a party to lay new pipes on a neighbour's property.
If no right exists, your neighbour would need to ask you to sign a Deed, granting the right to lay pipes on your drive. You would be perfectly entitled to consent to this, in return for a sum of money. Alternatively, you are free to refuse to grant him any right.
I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
Al