Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My tenant won't pay their last months rent insisting I use

Customer Question

My tenant won't pay their last months rent insisting I use their security deposit. They are disgruntled because I would not release them from their lease early so I'm reluctant to use their security deposit in case they maliciously damage the property at the end of the lease. I have told them I will put the matter in the hands of a solicitor....should I?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
I wouldnt suggest it. Solicitors rack up the cost to you and ultimately can't wave magic wands around. If this tenant is intent there is nothing a solicitor can do. This is a favourite trick of tenants. In the long run it doe them no good because they just leave with bad references and CJA. If they do cause damage you can always sue. You may not recover but they will get a CCJ which will haunt them for six years and that will still be cheaper than a solicitor. The only benefit to a solicitor is if these tenants are going to be intimidated by their letter. Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have already left the property and signed a new lease elsewhere, so they don't need a reference. I just thought one solicitors letter might put the fear of God up them and somehow blot their copy books :)
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
That does happen sometimes. The cost would be between £50-100.
If they have gone already though then why don't you just inspect the property and Sue them for any damage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They won't release the keys until the lease ends in January. Would I have to find my own solicitor, or could you write the letter? and if so - how quickly could it be done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No answer :(
Bye.