LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

30 or so years ago and at the request of the then neighbour

30 or so years ago and at the request of the then neighbour I removed my fence alongside his garage so he could have some work done on the wall. He declined to pay for reinstatement of the fence and got me to close off both ends of the gap isolating him from the wall and effectively giving me aabout 15inches of extra pathway alongside my house.He has since died, there is no record of the verbal agreement and the house has now changed hands twice.
The question is what rights do I have in relation to this strip of land. Do I now own it? If not can the new owners force me to reinstate the boundary or have I the right to continued use and to maintain the barrier such that they can only access via my land and with my permission?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
YOU may well own this land through the doctrine of adverse possession ie squatter's rights if you have used it as occupier without permission and without payment or objection for this time.