LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I want to know if a basement flat with no window at all and

I want to know if a basement flat with no window at all and no natural light at all is considered to be habitable under UK law. If I owned such a place am I allowed to rent it out? If not am I allowed to live in it myself? What are the criteria that make a place habitable or unhabitable please?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you. There is no legal bar on renting out a basement flat as a residential flat.
If you went a flat in addition to gas safety etc It must not be in disrepair and it must not be in such a state that it is prejudicial to health.