LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

We bought a house a few years ago. It was a bit expensive for

We bought a house a few years ago. It was a bit expensive for us But the estate agents said it had planning permission to build a bungalow on the land. We sold that piece of land after a year but while all the paperwork was being done it was found there was a covenant on the land that only one building be allowed. Obviously the sale of the land didn't go through We spent all our money in doing up the house and sold it for the same as we bought it for. Do we have a case? I don't have any papers now.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.
Your most likely action would be against your solicitor if planning permission on the land was important and he failed to research this. Planning permission like this is not a standard situation in a residential conveyance so they key questions are what did you instruct your solicitor about this and what advice did he give you?
I expect the agent's representations were caveated with phrases like "we believe..." or "we have been told by the vendor..." an their T & Cs would probabaly have a catch all exemption.