75100385

I let a property on 12 month AST starting 07/08 and my tenant

I let a property on 12 month AST starting 07/08 and my tenant hasn't paid rent since 7/10. I've written a letter asking for rent but to no avail. Today I received a message saying they give a months notice and that they have vacated the property. They have left keys in an unlocked shed but say they will return them to me tonight after I threatened police. They haven't given a forwarding address and say it will be harassment if I contact them again. I've read online about abandoning property and to be careful, I've read about making a court claim. I've got deposit in dps £1500. They owe £1200 for 7/11 and 7/12 plus 5% interest. What should be my next steps please?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
I presume you just want to get into the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi no I can get into the property I need to know what to do next to reclaim my rent and make sure I can re let property
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Have they handed you the keys?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they sent me a text saying they give a months notice and vacated house and left paperwork and keys in the shed. I have been to the house seen it is empty and filthy and taken the keys. Is this enough to re let the property legally? What's the best way of trying to claim back the money they owe me? They won't give me a forwarding address but I have their work addresses.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
What have happened to the keys?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why has this been closed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Refund please I haven't had an answer to my query
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
If they have left, do you have a forwarding address?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already paid. No they won't give me a forwarding address. They have agreed to meet me so I can give them their post and I was thinking I could give them court papers then
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. You can claim 8% interest as per s.69 of the county courts act 1984.
You can personally serve papers but you will still need a forwarding address if you want to enter judgment and enforce it.
The rules require an address for service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that 8% on top of the total rent they owe me? Can I use their work address to serve papers? Is mcol ok to use? Do I need a solicitor?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes on top.
You can't use work address no. Mcol is fine and no you don't need a solicitor,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've looked online and it says I can email them or serve on last known residential address is that true? Otherwise how can I make claim without their current residential address?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Last known address.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if that is the property they let from me?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen.  Please do not forget!  Thank you.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience