75100385

I have been renting with the same estate agent years

Customer Question

I have been renting with the same estate agent for 13 years and everything was fine. A new property inspector came to inspect last week as I have an inspection twice a year. This week I received a letter from her stating she could smell nicotine when she visited and telling me to stop smoking in the house immediately. This has never been mentioned before. Surely after all this time this is my home. All the furnishings are my own as I am in an unfurnished house and all decorating is done by myself. Before this new inspector came I was told by all the inspectors how lovely I kept the house. As I do everything myself in the house has she the right to tell me I cannot smoke in it? After all it is my home. Thank you for your input and help.
Anita M Ford
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello Anita my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
For now please let me know whether your tenancy agreement forbids you from smoking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it is not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please email my response.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then they can't stop you. Its as simple as that.
Only if there is a clause in the agreement can they stop you - otherwise they can't.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it is not
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No its not what please?