LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

To Whom it may concern, I am a private tenant with a private

Customer Question

To Whom it may concern,
I am a private tenant with a private landlord with a fixed term tenancy of 36 months. I am currently 15 months into this agreement and there is written agreement between the landlord and I to end the tenancy at the end of Jan 2016. Below is a clause within my contract that states that I am liable for the rent until the end of the agreement or when the landlord or new tenant takes possession of the property. Does this mean that if I return the property in good order on the date which I have agreed to vacate (with the agreement of the landlord), then I am only liable for the rent up to that date?
"This is a fixed term tenancy agreement for the period specified . There is no provision for the Tenant/s or the Landlord/s to terminate the agreement before the expiration of the fixed period. In the event that both parties agree to vary this clause rent will be due up until the end of this agreement or when the Landlord or a new Tenant takes possession of the said property"
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
If you have agreed with the landlord to terminate the tenancy you need to make sure that it is explicit in the agreement that you will not be responsible for rent after you have left.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. What does it mean when the landlord takes control of the property?
That seems to be a plain English expression rather than a technical legal term.