Alice H, Solicitor
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
30932268

We have received a letter accusing my partner of Harassment

We have received a letter accusing my partner of Harassment and intimidation towards our neighbour, it has all started after our neighbour applied for planning permission to run there business in a new building in the back garden, we objected as we had concerns over the security and privacy that running a business from the rear garden of the house would bring. The planning permission was granted but the council placed conditions on the planning permission for our neighbour to follow, when these conditions have been breeched we have reported to the council. Our neighbour has now written to my partner accusing the above it requests a letter stating that she will not stand stare in a provocative and intimidating manner and to stop reporting to the local authority when we see breeches of the conditions. It States if we do not send a letter by Tuesday the 12th January that our neighbour will seek an injunction from the Court to end the activities and for costs.
I am unsure what to do we have only reported what we have seen that are clear breeches, my partner has not said a word to the neighbours or done any of the things suggested in this letter, i would say the neighbour has been intimidating towards us.
Can you suggest what i should do our side of the story is very different.
regards
glynn
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are you basically saying that all your actions have been reasonable and lawful?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes all the local authority told us to report the breeches. When we read the letter we were gob smacked to say the least.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Offence is sometimes the best form of defence; what this person seems to be doing is blame shifting. If you are quite sure that person is in the wrong your only real option is to stand your ground. I would recommend that you write back explaining your position and make it clear that your actions have been reasonable and lawful. You are entitled to report planning breaches - reporting somebody for breaking the law is not harassment. This may be a hollow threat - but, of course, if court proceedings are started against you, then you need to be in a position to defend yourself. You can also make it clear that if any action is taken you will counterclaim.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this letter have to come from a solicitor or can i draft it?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
You can draft it yourself but I always recommend a solicitor writing on your behalf for two reasons: (1) The solicitor may be able to word the letter better from a legal perspective and, depending on the person you instruct, may come across more 'booty' and, therefore less likely to be challenged and (2) having a solicitor provides you with a shield.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i do this via yourself? if so how much would it cost and i guess you would need to see the letter we have received.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Its not something I can do for you unfortunately as we only give information online. Any civil litigation lawyer in your area will be able to write the letter for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answer so that I am paid for my time. Alice :)