Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have a tenant in my property who's tenancy agreement runs

Customer Question

i have a tenant in my property who's tenancy agreement runs out at the end of the month I have given them notice on the 2nd that it will not be getting renewed. where do I stand if they do not leave as the council have informed them they do not have to and that they are entitled more than a months notice even though there tenancy agreement is finished at the end of the month
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Please confirm what kind of tenancy they have? Is it an assured shorthold tenancy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was just a basic tenancy agreement that lasted 12 months they moved into the property the first February 2015
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming. Initially your notice would have to have been a valid Section 21 notice, giving the tenant 2 months' notice.
If they have not left after the 2 months expires, you will need to submit an application for possession. If there are no rent arrears to claim this can be done through the accelerated possession procedure which can be started online here: https://www.gov.uk/accelerated-possession-eviction
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a rating.