Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
12609314

According to my house deeds, I have access via a 7 foot strip

According to my house deeds, I have access via a 7 foot strip of land over my neighbours driveway from my garden gate to the edge of their boundary. Some years ago, the previous owners of their property laid a tarmac drive that extends about half way along our access route before joining the public road. We use the reminder of the access route to walk across the rest of the drive - the non-tarmac bit to join the pavement that abuts the boundary. Anyway - they have planted a hedge across it and tell me that the tarmac entrance supersedes my access route. I now have to walk along the tarmac and either cross the road or walk along the road to join the pavement. I have no knowledge of my right of way being superseded by anything else - I think they are in the wrong here.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
They are wrong , what is on or over the surface of your right of way is irrelevant . Your right to pass over that path does not change simply because of the surface and your right to pass cannot be superseded in that way.I hope this helps. If there are further points please respond and I will be happy to replyBest wishesMichael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - I thought that was the case
You are welcomeBest regardsMichael