75100385

I work letting agent. Tenants were due to attend

Customer Question

Hi, I work for a letting agent.
Tenants were due to attend our offices on Saturday to start an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement with effect from the 16th January 2016. only one tenant turned up, she signed the agreement (its in her and her partners name) and paid the rent and deposit. We did not release keys as advised we needed her partner to sign before these can be released.
The partner has since been very aggressive and rude on the telephone and having spoken to the Landlord, he no longer wants to proceed with their tenancy. Especially as the partner failed to attend on the 16th January 2016 to sign his parts of the agreement.
The tenancy has not been signed by the partner although he is named on the tenancy agreement. All copies of documentation are in our possession.
Can we cancel the agreement and return all monies to them instead?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Has the landlord signed it also please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,No, the agreement has not been signed by the Landlord or us (on behalf of the Landlord). The only person who has signed the agreement is 1 of the tenants.Many Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,
Did you receive my last message? See below.
Many Thanks18/01/2016 12:21
Alex W Alex W Solicitor
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Has the landlord signed it also please?Alex
Additional Service Offer: Live discussion via phoneLearn MoreWe can have a live discussion via phone to make it easier and faster to get all the information you need.Amount: £36 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.Accept this Offer
By clicking “Accept this Offer,” the refundable amount above will be processed and the Expert will be credited for the original question and service.
18/01/2016 12:30
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If it's not been signed by the landlord then it is not binding. Either party can pull out at any time. So if it's not been signed then you can withdraw the tenancy and not agree to let.