LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I'm a tenant and my bath got blocked, so no water could

I'm a tenant and my bath got blocked, so no water could go down.
After trying un blocking it with a plunger, the situation got worse because now all the water from all the sinks in my flat goes in to the bath.
So it looks like that not only the bath is blocked.
Please advice me who's responsibility is it to get it fixed, my or the landlord.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
The landlord is responsible. Here is S11 Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 . Section 1(b) is the relevant part
11 Repairing obligations in short leases.
(1)In a lease to which this section applies (as to which, see sections 13 and 14) there is implied a covenant by the lessor—
(a)to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling-house (including drains, gutters and external pipes),
(b)to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity), and
(c)to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for space heating and heating water.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that.

What if the drains get blocked because e.g. in the bath too much hair got in or kitchen sink some food got inside.

Will the tenant be reliable because misuse, or it's still the landlords responsibility?

Well it is still the landlord's responsibility to fix it. But if it becomes apparent that it is the tenant's misuse/carelessness is to blame for the problem then the landlord might be back to look to them to fund the repairs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So basically the landlord has to fix the blocked drain, however if he can proof it that it was my fault, then I would have to cover the cost?.

Yes, pretty much, although they would need to prove that it really was your negligence or misuse that caused the problem.