Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I let a room to a tenant Charles in a flat of four people.

I let a room to a tenant Charles in a flat of four people. There were bed bugs in another room but not his. The council came twice and killed the bed bugs throughout the house. A week later, Charles contacted me saying he'd just been bitten and was moving out in four days. On day three - the day before he left - the council came and checked the whole house and said there were zero bed bugs there. They sent me a report confirming this. But the tenant insists he was bitten. He moved out with four days notice. Now he wants his deposit back. He also wants the remaining three weeks of rent back (he moved out a week into a rental period). I haven't filled the room in the 6 weeks since he left. The estate agent is trying but there are no takers yet. The council report states that there were no bed bugs alive after they left the second time and say he can't have been bitten.
Do I need to give him his deposit back or legally can I keep the deposit, not pay the three weeks he says he wants back plus summons him for the loss I'm still suffering by his decision to vacate with six months left on his contract?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
No, he isn't.
Infestation is not a ground to escape a tenancy agreement and he didn't give proper notice. He is entitled to his deposit back in principle but he is liable for the rent until notice expires or you replace him.
He may have a disrepair claim if he can show that he was bitten although for a minimal sum.
He can't just walk out and expect to be reimbursed everything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has sent me pictures of his alleged bites on his neck and arm. How would you advise me to proceed?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Well, even if there were bites he would only have a very small claim. He can't just walk out of an agreement on that basis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would he go about making that claim?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
He would have to sue for disrepair.
I wouldn't worry about this. It doesn't factor in your decision of whether of not to hand his deposit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much could he claim for so I know how much money to put aside?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
If it just an issue of some bites and nothing else then only a few hundred pounds.I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.