wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

I owned a freehold property with title deed on my name.

Hi, I owned a freehold property with title deed on my name. It has 3 floors above ground and basement flat with seperate entrance. The upper floors has two bedsits on each floor with sharing toilet and stairs hall. I also have planning permission to add another floor. If I only sell the upper floors (ground+1st+2nd floor) with share of free hold or lesshold am I alowed to add new floor on top of second floor and own it.
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello. You can't sell a first, second or higher floor as freehold. Freehold is land, which is why flats are almost always leasehold. What you would do is sell the upper floor(s) on long leases and reserve in the leases the right to extend the building upwards or outwards. You would still own the freehold to the whole building and therefore you would own any new floor you build. Best, WB