Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have a house which is a buy to let hmo. I have built 2 studios

Customer Question

I have a house which is a buy to let hmo. I have built 2 studios in the garden which are attached to the property.Can I register each of the properties separately so that they could be sold individually and what would be involved?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear Graham, what you will need here is both a surveyor to survey the boundary divisions of the each of the three new properties you are creating and also a conveyancer or solicitor who will divide the Folio into three pieces, each containing a studio or the original house. It is not a particularly complex thing to divide the folio. You could potentially do it yourself. However, I would instead suggest you get a solicitor to do it, as when you seek to sell the studio(s), it will be the purchaser's solicitor who will have to be satisfied with the title Folio you are presenting, so it is best to get another professional solicitor to do it for you at the outset.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Be aware that you could divide the Folio in three without a surveyor, but this could cause problems if one of your purchasers carried out a survey (it is usual to do so) and found the boundaries were not as marked. So I would suggest you do it properly from the outset, particularly if the properties are worth money. Otherwise you might run into problems when selling the two studios.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Questions.