75100385

My question relates to the ownership of items left at a property

My question relates to the ownership of items left at a property after completion.
I completed on the purchase of my house on the 20th Nov, at that point the seller still had items stored in the garage. I asked them when they were planning to clear it out and they said within two weeks, which was fine with me.
On the 4th December the seller sent her partner around to pick up the items, he took many of the items but left a lot of other things including some packs of laminate wood flooring which matched that in the property saying that they were for the property.
On the 5th December the seller herself contacted us saying that they were not meant to have been left and she wanted them back, I said fine but she needed to clear out everything else that had been left.
I didn't hear from her again until 1st of Jan and had assumed that she had just given up, I said to her again that if she wanted the flooring then she needed to clear the rest of the items (I hadn't got around to clearing stuff out because of christmas or it could have been dumped)
She never gave a date and went silent again until 19th Jan when she gave an excuse for not having been in contact and reiterated her intention to collect the items, but again not giving a date.
Who legally owns these items she has left behind at the point of completion? Am i obliged to care/store them? As she has threatened me with action if anything is missing or damaged (there is no itinerary of what is there or its condition however)
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
The items belong to the seller. You hold them under bailment - you need to write and give 28 days to remove or say you will dispose.
Then once 28 days has elapsed you can dispose or sell them on. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the 1st of Jan I texted the seller saying she may remove the items that weekend or I would consider the matter resolved (as this was already weeks after completion and the point where she initially took some items) she replied quite abusively with threats but did not offer a date when she would come.Do I need to write to her in an actual letter or is the sms notification sufficient? ( I have no address for her)
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If they replied to the message then yes thats ok.
Does that help?