LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

My Lanlord at the start of may tenancy ask me to pay 600 as

Customer Question

My Lanlord at the start of may tenancy ask me to pay 600 as a deposit and 1500 as an advance payment for the last month of the tenancy agreement, He only protected the 600 with DPS and wrote on the tenancy that the deposit is only 600 and was 6 months late to protect it. My question is how much the depoist he should protect 600 or 2100 ? and can I ask the court to consider that the depoist is 2100 and not only 600?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
As long as he accepts that as the last month's rent I don't think you can realistically argue that it is part of the deposit and should therefore be with DPS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am the Tenant .. so my deposit should be 2100 is the correct ?
No. If the final month'a rent in advance is a final month's rent in advance and you agreed to this then it is not part of the deposit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it said in the contract
6- if the tenant decides to terminate the contract before the agreeing 6 month period,one month deposit will forfeited (1500).
Finish
so i paid 600 as a deposit and 1500 for the reason mentioned in the above clause is the agreement.
so is the deposit still 600 or 2100 ?
£600.