75100385

I am a landlord of a property that is owned 30% by me and 70%

Customer Question

I am a landlord of a property that is owned 30% by me and 70% by another party; as recorded in the title deeds. I am unable to contact and have no relationship with the other party who are a disfunctional family.
The property is occupied by two 70 year olds and they have a protected tenancy.
When the occupiers die or leave the property, or the landlords otherwise gain vacant possession, there is a contractual obligation to sell the property.
The property requires some work that is the landlords responsibily. The roof and septic tank for example.
I am prepared to pay for this work to be done as long as I can recover the 70%, that is the obligation of the other landlord, at the time of the sale. It seems reasonable that some interest be charged on the money that I am effectively lending to the other landlord.
Can I protect my interest with out the cooperation of the other party?
I would like to be advised as to how best to proceed.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
In the absence of any agreement you would be entitled to 8% simple interest under S.69 of the County Courts Act. So yes you can sell the property and get an order for sale from the Court if necessary.
Then when you sell you can deduct any costs or expenses from the other persons share.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can do this without any charge on the property?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If you have an interest and you can show the Court if necessary, then yes.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That helps.
Peter
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Good luck
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen.  Please do not forget!  Thank you.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/