Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My daughter is a student and we are renting a flat

Customer Question

My daughter is a student and we are renting a flat which costs £620 a month which 3 weeks ago become hazzard to live in. Hallway wall which separates flat from elevator is wet and water is leaking making all carpet wet. Mould started growing on this wall and carpet we have no means of keeping carpet dry and book shelve got damaged.
Letting agency is very slow in responding and dealing with this issue. My daughter informed landlord last Friday. Today we have been promised to receive a phonecall from contractors to give verbal consent to get into property when my daughter is not home to start work but again nobody phoned.
I believe they might need to cut wall to gain access to fit the leak and carpet has to be changed.
My first question
Can we withhold rent payment until all repairs are done? Obviously it will require major work which not only disturb my daughters studies but make flat unlivable.
Secondary, my daughter has weak immune system due to medical condition she has. Mold spores and humidity can affect her health. Due to weak immunity she is not living in student shared accommodation to reduce the risk of infections.
I will be grateful for your advice.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What type of agreement does she have please? Does the agreement allow for rent to be withheld or deducted?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing in the contact regarding such matters. Only that landlord/agent is responsible for repairs.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
What type of tenancy is it? Have you spoke to the Council about coming out to inspect?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The apartment has been rented through an agency which is responsible for the apartments repairs. We have warned the agency about contacting the environmental health from the council.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Why have you been warned?
What is the name of the tenancy agreement, is it an assured shorthold tenancy?