Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My daughter is at university she is planning to move into a

Customer Question

My daughter is at university she is planning to move into a shared house for year 2 with 4 other students
We are being asked to be her guarantors which is fine for the fees but the contract we are being asked to sign makes us agree to potentially be liable for all damages to the property even if it has nothing to do with our daughter or if the other guarantors can't pay their responsibilities
We feel concerned that this could cost us up to the price of the building which is too scary for words
Our daughter says this is a usual contract but we are unable to sign if this is true our questions are;
1 - is this true?
2 - would we be liable as described?
3 - is it the norm?
4 - is there insurance you can take out for this?
Please advise!!
Richard Heath
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello ,unmake is Alex and I will help you.
Does the main tenancy agreement say each tenant is joint and severally liable?