How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I started renting a property in order to move in with my

Resolved Question:

Hi. I started renting a property in order to move in with my family. I signed a 12 month contract with a break clause at 6 months (standard short hold). One month later and before I moved in to the property my partner received a court order that did not allow us to move away from the area we are currently living due to ex partners contact with children. I notified the letting agent. They said the landlord would agree to release us subject to finding another tenant. After one month and several viewings. The letting agent informed me that the landlord had instructed another agent to value the property for sale of the property. I have been told it is unlikely that I will be released until the sale is complete. I wrote to the agent and informed them that had now given two months notice, that I agree to sell the property inside of my contract but I wish to be released on the 12th February and would be vacating and handing back the keys. My contract was signed 11th Dec 15. They hold a 1.5 month deposit £2500. The rent is £1700. The land lord lives in Newzealand. Am I in my right? What is the likely outcome?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Just to be clear you would still be liable for the 12 months if the landlord didn't sell?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And if I refused to pay my rent?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
They would keep your deposit and that's it. They would need a court order to evict you. They can't evict without a court order.
Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Th Landlord is in New Zealand so it's unlikely we couldn't come to an agreement. The other thing is that when I signed the tenancy, the landlord never signed the same agreement as mine. They signed a separate agreement that doesn't have my signature on it. Also, I am letting the property together with my partner. But she was not able to sign the agreement. I forged her signiture in front of the letting agent. Is this a loop hole?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sadly not because what you have done is fraudulent.myou forged a signature. The landlord must have a uk address for service of legal documents, that is a legal requirement.Can I clairfy anything else for you?Alex

Related Property Law Questions