Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I bought a property 18 months ago which was previously

Customer Question

I bought a property 18 months ago which was previously old shop with change of use to a dwelling . The shop came with the freehold of a number of other buildings that all have been sold with a long lease the boundary line on land registry drawing, runs behind other buildings next door . There are 4 garages within this boundary. That are being used by someone else . the garages did not show up during the purchase of the shop . I have made enquires and now know who is using & thinks they own them.
My question is how should I approach them.
kind Regards
Garry
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Have you checked to see if any or all of the 4 Garages have a long leasehold title?
Do you know if the current users of the garages are the owners of the various properties with the long leasehold interests?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Al
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ai
I know nothing about them other than the family own a lot of the shops in the are same high street
My question was how do I aproch them ? I don't want them to know I don't no nothing !
Do I write and say
As the land owner .it would seem no ongoing arrangement appears to be in places could you please vacate the garages with in set time .
Or
It would appear no lease payments have been made push off
Or something else ?
I don't want to cock up the first aproch to them , so they can have the opportunity to ,say invent, an old hand written agreement
My part of the Builing goes back to before 1520 ad that was like 100 years before the plage so goodness knows what's lurking in the cupboard
But having said that, the garage block looks like they where built in the 60s
Hope that make sense ?
Kind regardsGarry ­čśä
Hi Garry,Thanks for your reply.You do need to find out first if the Garages have a long lease (I can find this out via the Land Registry if you can provide an address or the nearest property address to the garages).Only then can I suggest how you should approach them.I look forward to hearing from you.Al