wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

I am a landlord how long is the longest period I can give an

I am a landlord how long is the longest period I can give an assured shorthold tenency. is it five years. If I want to give for a longer period what can I do
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello. There is no maximum period for an AST. I've done one for 20 years. The only issue is that they are designed to be for under 3 years, so to be fairly simple. Any tenancy for over 3 years MUST be a lease (an AST can be a lease) and therefore must be a Deed and must be drawn up by a lawyer. For under three years, it doesn't have to be a lease or a Deed drawn up by a lawyer. So, if you wanted to do a 10 year AST, you can, but it must be by Deed and drawn up by a lawyer. For terms over 7 years, the tenant must register the lease at Land Registry and must also consider if any Stamp Duty Land Tax is payable. Best, WB