LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

Have put a hedge down the right hand side of my house as the

have put a hedge down the right hand side of my house as the gales have downed the fence.My neighbour wants to replace witha fence and also to move the boundary in another foot
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you. What justification is there for moving your boundary?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he says it on his deeds but I think my house was built before his and the ground is built about a foot above mine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he told me he wanted a fence because he has a dog but he owns the house and he actually lives in the next village.renting his property out to someone who has a cat.
Do you have your deeds or the written advice from your solicitor at the time of purchase? Have you looked this up on the land registry you see what is shown on the title plan (Although this is only indicative?). Also how long was your fence where it was?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a copy of the plans.I have lived here for 10 years and the fence was in situ then . thank you for the idea to look on the land registry.I just did not. know where to start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don. t have the deeds as I still have a mortgage with my son as guarantor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(because of my age)
If you had the land for over 20 years then you may well be able to claim it irrespective of the original position through adverse possessin (ie squatter's rights). Folwothis link for the basics on this. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/adverse-possession-of-registered-land/practice-guide-4-adverse-possession-of-registered-land I
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your help. my neighbour has lived here since the houses were built in 1980.She says that originally there was a stone wall that fell down and the people who built the ten houses(5 for rent ,5 for sale ) put the fence up along the whole boundary that includes 6 houses and the communal car park. This man has since died so I cannot ask him. I will get a plan of the land next door when I receive my pension. My apologies if I am not explaining things clearly.
You are explainng things clearly. One way of resolving boundary disputes is to approach the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors and jointly appoint a surveyor to look at the boundary, research the documents to come to a view as to where the true boundary lies. But remember wherever the original boundary lies you may well have gained ownership of h ladn through adverse possession. I would be grateful if you would please rate my answers as I will not get credited for my time on this if you do not. It will not close the question and I will continue to answer further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is too late the men have started laying the fence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to submit a rate for your help but I seem unabie to send it