Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

There My ex lives in my flat. He needed somewhere to live

Hi there
My ex lives in my flat. He needed somewhere to live while hecwas looking for a flat to rent and my flat was empty so I agreed. We were still together and we're even planning to live together with me moving in with him
The relationship broke and I didn't move in and he hasn't moved out over a year now. I declined giving him rental contract because he was going to harass me with disrepair in revenge
So I asked him to move out instead
And gave him s21 off course he didn't move out and now I'm waiting for a court order. I know he's fighting it but I'm not sure on what grounds but he says I refused to give him a rental contract and unfortunately disrepairs. The last 2 months he has been pushing on every part of the flat plumbing, electrics, etc and has decided things get done and when I have refused he booked trades to do the work and do
electric check....
Every week I get an email that something is not working and is not standard and he's out to destroy me
Last Check revealed asbestos now hes going crazy that I never told him, I didn't know and survey done at purchase was lost in a fire in 2005
I have said I want to use the property as I'm renting now a one bed and need bigger fir baby sitting, his baby 2 yrs old. He has other kids he lives with 24_20 yrs. Where do I stand? I'm sure the court will Lable me a bad landlord
And decline, how can I support myself
I've since repaired everything he's asked for costing me a lot!
What triggered this anger in Sept 15 was that he'd asked mm e to give him 5yrs contract to live here and he would do all the Repairs which I declined because, the rent he offered was low, then if he does work on the property I fear he could later claim ownership of some sort on improvements grounds
Also I was thinking of selling the flat and didn't want the responsibility of seeing with a tenant in with a low rent contract as it limits my options
And that's when he started bringing up all these complaints of disrepairs and enforcing them.
long story but do I have a chance? And if he wins to stay then what? Is he forever stuck in my flat? I need ideas on grounds to argue my case or to pull out if I have no case and what do I do next?
Anne
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhere were you living when he moved in?When did your relationship break down?Does he pay rent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi clare
here is more info for you!
Where were you living when he moved in?
I had travelled abroad on maternity leave with our baby because i needed support from familyWhen did your relationship break down?
I returned after 6 months and we fell out at the airport when he came to pick me up so i didnt move in with him as pre-planned.
(This is because his children were bullying me and he was supposed to talk to them and he didnt so i couldnt go back to the
same situation i was in prior to having the baby)
Does he pay rent?
He pays half the rent that i stated that i wanted, we never discussed this prior so it was only after the break up that i suggested an amount but i made sure it was below market value coz i wanted to be kind to him for some things he had done for me while i was away but he doesnt pay full amount. Those favors that he did for me while i was away, he started charging me when we fell out and demanded that i pay him ack for all the effort and thats why he doesnt pay full amount in order to pay himself. The favor im talking about is looking after some rental properties that i have. he was supposed to take calls from tenants should there e any and link problems or issues with me so that i can deal with them while abroad.
Anne
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi clare
If you are free you can call me tonight, i work as a nurse so i cant talk at work but usually late evening i am available so feel free to call me
thanks
Anne
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I can call you tomorrow night