wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

I have a Tenancy agreement an unfurnished dwelling

I have a Tenancy agreement for letting an unfurnished dwelling on an assured short hold tenancy under part 1 of the housing Act 1988 with a charity and as such it is has a social housing rate in terms of rent. I have been here for 6 and a half years. The properties (there are 24) require a major over hall, which they are now intending to do. However to pay for it they intend to make the properties private and rent at market rates which will mean an increase of 100 percent. They say this is the only way they can pay for the renovations. In the meantime we have the option to stay and pay the new rents but while they are renovating we will have to move out and make our own arrangements in terms of where we stay and where we store our property. I am wanting to know if I have any options, protection or recourse?
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello - what was the original fixed term of your tenancy please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6 months/years it says but it does not seem anyone distinguished between the choices on the agreement when it was sent.
Hello. I expect it was intended to be for 6 months which is standard. Either way, if you pay your rent monthly, you will now be on a statutory periodic tenancy, which technically renews each month. The landlord can terminate the tenancy on giving two months' notice and does not need any reason to do so. Accordingly, the reality is that if you do not cooperate with them in terms of the refurbishment or agree to the rent increase, they can evict you. I am afraid you have no tenant's rights or protections in the circumstances. Sorry! Best, wb