Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
12609314

My name is ***** ***** have rented my house to my sister

Hi ,my name is ***** ***** have rented my house to my sister in law we would like her to move out as we would like to sell the house ,we served her with a section 21 notice but when she took it to the council they said it was invalid because on the agreement it says she paid a deposit but she did not,we wrote a leeter to the council and both signed it stating she did not pay a deposit but they said we need a court order.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
Local councils tend to be very difficult about rental agreements between relatives. They have limited housing available and will make the landlord apply for a possession order from the local court before considering that the tenant is homeless .Most local authorities will require a court order for possession to be obtained whether a deposit is paid or not , or whether there is any written agreement.Your local Citizens Advice Bureau may be able to help with the legal papers.I hope this helps , if there are any further points please respond I will be happy to reply.Best wishesMichael